Family Immigration

Newtown Immigration Attorney Discusses Obtaining a Family Member VisaPhiladelphia Immigration Attorney

If you are currently living in the United States or abroad and would like information about how your beloved family members can move to or visit you in the United States, our Newtown immigration attorney can help you better understand this complex area of federal law. Family members of an individual holding a U.S. citizenship or green card must apply for and obtain a visa in order to gain admittance into the United States. These visas generally involve a lengthy application process and may require the assistance of a Newtown immigration attorney for both you and your loved one.


Various Types of Family Visas

There are two types of immigrant family visas available from the Bureau of Consular Affairs and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Immediate Relative immigrant visas and Family Preference immigrant visas. As the name suggests, Immediate Relative visas are given priority over Family Preference visas and do not carry an annual limit akin to employment visas. Immediate Relative family visas include the following relatives of a U.S. citizen:

  • Spouse;
  • Unmarried child under 21 years of age;
  • Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. citizen;
  • Orphan to be adopted in the U.S.;
  • Parents of a U.S. citizen at least 21 years of age.

Family preference visas are available for other types of family members of U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents, including:

  • Family First Preference (F1): The F1 visa is available for unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of U.S. citizens, and their children;
  • Family Second Preference (F2): The F2 visa is available for spouses, children (under age 21), and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of legal permanent residents;
  • Family Third Preference (F3): The F3 visa is available for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and minor children, and;
  • Family Fourth Preference (F4): The F4 visa is available for siblings of U.S. citizens, their spouses and minor children.


There are also options for you to bring your family member to the United States temporarily to visit (B nonimmigrant visa) or with the intention to marry (K fiancé nonimmigrant visa).

Contact a Reputable Newtown Immigration Attorney Today!

For more information about the family visas available for your case and USCIS processing times, call a Newtown immigration lawyer at JD Law Associates, LLC at (215) 791-7743 right away.